A hero call or a bad one?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Guys,

The first session of the pokerguru mentorship program was great. I learned a couple of new things, particularly about the opening range from EP (I used to be little tighter early in deep stack non-turbos). Here is a hand I played yesterday in the Sunday storm. I invite comments / suggestions on the postflop play here.

Tourney – $11 buy-in (Sunday Storm)
      Stage of tourney – Early
      My image – Aggressive and little active
      Opponent’s image – Aggressive, Active
      My hand – AsKc

I raised 3x from MP. The player to my left calls and the rest of the table folds.

Flop – [6d 6h Th]

I bet 240 into 450. Villain calls.

Turn – [6d 6h Th] [7d]

I bet 480 into 930. Villains calls.

River – [6d 6h Th 7d] [3c]

I bet 660 into 1890. Villain raises 3240 to 3900. I call (All-In).

My thinking – Both the villain and myself had been quite active on the table and were opening a decent number of hands. I made a standard cont. bet on the flop and I was pretty much expecting the villain to flat given the flop texture and my image. But, I was confident that I am most likely ahead of his range. I fired the second barrel on the turn expecting him to fold. As he called my turn bet, I narrowed his range to a flush draw (with a very slight possibility of a 67 or 65 kind of a hand. I would expect a 6x to raise my turn bet most of the time). The river bet was a block bet trying to avoid a bluff attempt by the villain. His river raise did not make much sense to me and it looked to me like a busted draw being too desperate to take down the pot.

What are your thoughts on this hand? I did not like risking my tourney life with an Ace high hand so early in the tourney, but I had a strong feeling that I am ahead. I could have played it differently, probably by checking the turn to avoid inflating the pot, but an aggressive villain would bet out and take down the pot. Also, I am little unsure about the size of the block bet on the river that invited the bluff attempt. Did I show weakness on the river with the small bet? Look forward to hearing your thoughts…

Sachin

Hand history:Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t30/t60 Blinds – 9 players – View hand 1756488
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BeowulfasLT (UTG): t3710 61.83 BBs
      condemor29 (UTG+1): t6650 110.83 BBs
      Hero (UTG+2): t4170 69.50 BBs
      renefoxy (MP1): t8050 134.17 BBs
      DerKaiserJL (MP2): t4900 81.67 BBs
      _e6k4306_ (CO): t4140 69 BBs
      tattoo74555 (BTN): t5870 97.83 BBs
      chris777444 (SB): t3100 51.67 BBs
      ovemind13 (BB): t4470 74.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t90) Hero is UTG+2 with K A
      , Hero raises to t180, renefoxy calls t180,

Flop: (t450) 6 6 T (2 players)
      Hero bets t240, renefoxy calls t240

Turn: (t930) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets t480, renefoxy calls t480

River: (t1890) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets t660, renefoxy raises to t3900, Hero calls t2610 all in

sunny sen

check fold turn

I’m sorry Sachin, but I really dislike the way you played this hand. This really gives me very unpleasant reminders of how I used to play earlier.

Pre is standard and fine.

The difficulty starts on the flop. I don’t think you are very clear about why you are betting. It seems almost like you are betting here more because “a c-bet is standard” than because you actually thought about this particular situation. We should be betting to fold out stronger hands or get weaker ones to call. You say that you think you are ahead of his range but that is very optimistic. If you are an active/bluffy player, people are very unlikely to float you with no-pair hands. Betting one street is just about ok, though i really want to check this flop. The problem is, he’s almost never going to fold a pair here, so you are just inflating the pot. Added to that, there are only 4 good cards on the turn because the A and K of hearts could get you in big trouble.

The turn card is pretty terrible for your hand and i don’t think its a great idea to keep representing an overpair here, because especially in $11 tourneys, people just do not believe. Also he could easily have a 6 in which case you are in big trouble. Just c/f here.

The river is a blank and your logic here is very poor. If you think he is going to bluff then why not just check and call (its a very bad idea and I don’t think he is bluffing) but if you really think hes going to try some insane bluff here then just check and call. The problem with this hand is that you just inflated the pot by not thinking at all about what the villain might have (for example how do you think he would play AT ,KT,QT etc or pairs like 99). You very unsystematically decided he has a flush draw (because its what you want him to have) and then illogically decided to try and push him off a hand worse than yours.

Finally he shoves showing extreme strength and you make a pretty bad call. I recognize that you may have run into the bottom of his range like AQhh or AJhh or something like that. The fact that you posted this hand here makes me think he’s bluffing, but on the whole I think this hand is just terribly overplayed and more often than not he stacks you here…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Prabhat for your detailed comment. 90% of the time, I would do check fold on the turn as you suggested, but in this case, I just went by the gut feeling. He showed AcQc for a pure bluff, but that doesn’t matter. My own evaluation of the hand was biased as I won the hand by making a big call on the river. So, I just wanted to know what others think. I suppose a majority of the players (including me :)) would agree to your evaluation.

ashutoshnaik
      Participant

Thanks Prabhat for your detailed comment. 90% of the time, I would do check fold on the turn as you suggested, but in this case, I just went by the gut feeling. He showed AcQc for a pure bluff, but that doesn’t matter. My own evaluation of the hand was biased as I won the hand by making a big call on the river. So, I just wanted to know what others think. I suppose a majority of the players (including me :)) would agree to your evaluation.

More often than not, you are beat here. I wouldn’t mind 2 barelling the turn, but after that it is a clear fold. There are way too many hands that can beat you here, and most importantly, you are pot committed, so the villian knows you are not folding most of the time ( what do u think he puts you on ). I dont understand the villian’s line here with AQ. You got lucky to hit the bottom of his range with AQ.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]
[the_ad_group id="101476"]