Aces Unlimited Freeroll—Middle Stage—-Turn line??

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      rohit3887
      Participant

This hand happened in a recent freeroll…we were playin 4-5 handed..villain jst joined no hands on him…

Should i bet/fold ,chk/call,chk/raise??what if the opponentjst call ur bet?

GAME #3267837355: Texas Hold’em NL Tournament 2010/10/24 15:17:12
      Table Poker Guru Freeroll, 510404321, 4139620771 (Tournament: Poker Guru Freeroll Buy-In: $0+$0)
      Seat 1: iyergrinder ($1,265.00 in chips)
      Seat 2: hemalyash ($1,905.00 in chips)
      Seat 3: rohit123456 ($7,815.00 in chips)
      Seat 4: RainyEquity ($6,113.25 in chips)
      Seat 5: Prashag ($14,655.63 in chips)
      Seat 6: zhang1999 ($1,255.00 in chips)
      Seat 7: vali68pop ($1,980.00 in chips)
      Seat 8: Monarch1987 ($1,245.00 in chips)
      Seat 9: zj800708 ($12,762.00 in chips)
      Seat 10: JanBaselj ($28,709.00 in chips) DEALER
      iyergrinder: Post SB $80.00
      hemalyash: Post BB $160.00
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to rohit123456 []
      rohit123456: Raise (NF) $320.00
      RainyEquity: Fold
      Prashag: Fold
      zhang1999: Fold
      vali68pop: Fold
      Monarch1987: Fold
      zj800708: Call $320.00
      JanBaselj: Call $320.00
      iyergrinder: Fold
      hemalyash: Fold
      *** FLOP *** [ ]
      rohit123456: Bet $900.00
      zj800708: Call $900.00
      JanBaselj: Fold
      *** TURN *** []
      rohit123456: Check
      zj800708: Bet $2,250.00

Jan Hlobil
      Participant

i would keep betting here, opponent can be calling with a pocket pair or a worse Q, and now you’ve checked on the turn, which doesn’t really change the board and it definitely looks weak if you check here, you should raise or call. Raising would cost you your whole stack (and you can probably expect action only from better hands), and when calling you’re facing a rivercard on this very dry board and you have a less than a pot size bet left. You have to get it in some how and I think the best way to do is it to call this bet and shove on all rivercards except A and K and just make a crying check/call on those.
      When opponent calls your turn bet, of a little more than 1/2 pot, just make a valuebet on the river between 1/3 and 1/2 pot. If he decides to go all in after you’ve bet you can consider folding, some information about the player would be helpful there.

rohit3887
      Participant

now i see that the bet/fold or chk/call would have been btr..nyway by checking i got myself into the spot where the opponent will bet almost all of his hand range thus i chk.raised allin and hetook the pot with turnrd 2 pairs

Rajat Agarwal
      Keymaster

Personally I like check call here on the turn, this is to let him bluff off when he is on a draw and at the same time to minimize my losses when he has me beat by just check calling. I would do same on most rivers as well.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Against a LAG opponent, I don’t think check shoving the turn is an entirely bad play, given the stack sizes and the fact that villain can be semi-bluffing the turn with a draw; against an unknown opponent I like leading the flop and turn, and check-calling or check-folding the river depending on the river and the bet sizing on the flop and turn.

What dyu guys think?

richestuser

If a person is new to table he will generally not bluff…because he himself will try to get some information rather start bluffing straight away… Hence i will play cautiously rather than playing aggressively and play according to size of bet of opponent..on turn and river.
      If your opponent is new on table always put him on some strong hand… if he is involved early in a pot…

Anil George

This hand happened in a recent freeroll…we were playin 4-5 handed..villain jst joined no hands on him…

Should i bet/fold ,chk/call,chk/raise??what if the opponentjst call ur bet?

GAME #3267837355: Texas Hold’em NL Tournament 2010/10/24 15:17:12
      Table Poker Guru Freeroll, 510404321, 4139620771 (Tournament: Poker Guru Freeroll Buy-In: $0+$0)
      Seat 1: iyergrinder ($1,265.00 in chips)
      Seat 2: hemalyash ($1,905.00 in chips)
      Seat 3: rohit123456 ($7,815.00 in chips)
      Seat 4: RainyEquity ($6,113.25 in chips)
      Seat 5: Prashag ($14,655.63 in chips)
      Seat 6: zhang1999 ($1,255.00 in chips)
      Seat 7: vali68pop ($1,980.00 in chips)
      Seat 8: Monarch1987 ($1,245.00 in chips)
      Seat 9: zj800708 ($12,762.00 in chips)
      Seat 10: JanBaselj ($28,709.00 in chips) DEALER
      iyergrinder: Post SB $80.00
      hemalyash: Post BB $160.00
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to rohit123456 []
      rohit123456: Raise (NF) $320.00
      RainyEquity: Fold
      Prashag: Fold
      zhang1999: Fold
      vali68pop: Fold
      Monarch1987: Fold
      zj800708: Call $320.00
      JanBaselj: Call $320.00
      iyergrinder: Fold
      hemalyash: Fold
      *** FLOP *** [ ]
      rohit123456: Bet $900.00
      zj800708: Call $900.00
      JanBaselj: Fold
      *** TURN *** []
      rohit123456: Check
      zj800708: Bet $2,250.00

First of all a JQ off is utg a insta fold if you don’t have a read on the table or the feeling that you have a edgo post flop on the opponents.
      Second of all, You oppening raise is really weak. In this stage of a tournament you can NEVER minraise utg. Always open to 2,5bb to max of 3,5 bb
      Personaly I would open to about 500 utg. In the case that my card were qualified to do so. (in this chase its a preflop fold)
      But as played: I would always second barrel the turn and not check there. Flop bet is good

Since both small blind(8BB) and big blind(12BB) are really short i would fold QJo under the gun and shove the hand if i were on the button. If they had bigger stacks, i dont mind to make a raise to about 450 from UTG if it’s not a very aggressive table.

Since you are out of position against zj800 your continuation bet is fine. I would bet about half pot. On turn you gotta bet again since a check will automatically become a sign of weakness and zj800 will bet all his draws and weaker hands that you beat…problem is…u don’t have any clue if you are behind or not.

Denny

Jan and Richestuser have provided good advice

OK .. QJ o/s, you simply should not be playing this UTG unless you are seriously shortstacked and pushing allin on a gamble before the blinds and antes cripple you …

Your first error is playing this hand from early position (you are destined to bleed chips with this hand) since you have a big enough stack to comfortably avoid having to play it … google any professional article on UTG starting hands.

Folding the hand is 100% correct for the following reasons; (unless you like gambling and bleeding chips)

1. The entire table acts after you (you are out of position during and after the flop)
      2. Your hand cannot call any substantial re-raise so your $320 or 2.5 times $400 is dead money to any hand which has the nous to re-raise you (whether he has a monster or not).
      3. Even if you see and hit the flop (with two callers even worse) you cannot 100% like your Q,J (unless you hit QQJ or have two pair or a straight and flush draw, the play might have been slighter better with Q,J “it was sooooooted” a very pretty hand, but still not optimal play)

OK since you played it …

You have two callers; NOT GOOD since you cannot even be certain that your Q high is good when you now fire $900 (is this an information bet, continuation bet or what ??)

AQ or KQ 44 or 22 slowplayed AA or KK …

The continuation bet here for information on the strength of your opponents is fine .. but too large .. I doubt they are calling preflop without a hand hence their stack sizes … I’d say even $500 – $650 is enough .. his call for $900 is enough to set alarm bells ringing .. you cannot seriously think he is calling for kicks or gambling on hitting .. 35 suited just made a straight and he could be slowplaying trips …

either way .. check raising the turn is madness … he has not shown any indication of not calling and did not check behind to get a free card if he is drawing … so when he bets £2000 plus .. what are you hoping to see a bluff??

Your opponent knows if you call or raise you are pot committed … you can only beat a bluff and you have no idea .. so check/raise why ???

The answer is

1. You should have folded preflop
      2. You bloated the pot after you hit your Q thus essentially committing you to the pot with the losing hand ..

Only my opinion .. hope it helps …

Hot.Cocoa

The correct play is to fold preflop.

Once you dig yourself a hole, you can go several ways on the turn.

check/call turn and mostly check/fold river.
      bet/fold turn and mostly check/fold the river.

you can even go for a check/raise (and its not as bad as some have suggested)
      heck you might even bet/shove the turn.

Dont think there is any clear path without knowing more about your opponents.

Thing is, you need to have a plan for this spot before you decided to minraise preflop. And since you dont have one, you will do best by getting out of the way, particularly so on a ten handed table.

Denny

The correct play is to fold preflop.

The simplest and best answer repeated throughout this thread.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]

PokerGuru - The ONE Stop for Indian Poker Players

Follow us on social media
[easy-followers title="Social Followers" total_type="text_before" columns="row" template="metro"]
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]