Barrel the turn here?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Do we barrel turn here or take free card?

Poker Stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t10/t20 Blinds – 6 players – View hand 1784742
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

squrm123 (CO): t3000 150 BBs
      zizuzidane5 (BTN): t7159 357.95 BBs
      djbubba007 (SB): t2820 141 BBs
      Hero (BB): t2567 128.35 BBs
      chashod (UTG): t3320 166 BBs
      cumila0 (MP): t994 49.70 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with 8 :club: 9 :club:
      , djbubba007 calls t10, Hero raises to t99, djbubba007 calls t79

Flop: (t198) 7 :spade: T :club: K :spade: (2 players)
      djbubba007 checks, Hero bets t144, djbubba007 calls t144

Turn: (t486) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      djbubba007 checks,

Any particular read on the villain? Its too tough to say otherwise. I barrel against Villains who are known to float with their entire range or are weak players. But against players who have history of check raising turns i just take the free card.

No reads .. At first level…

Well I would barrel the turn here….most of the times…
      As you already raised huge from big blind 5x (any reason?), continue with the strong hand story. I would bet around 245.
      A lot of times he is calling with insides J9, q9 and weak middle pairs 10 9 … 10 8 suspecting a blind vs blind action. So depending upon your previous history he might fold to the turn bet.
      If he doesnt fold… you can pretty much give up here and if you river a pair of 9 or 8… you will have a simple showdown. If you river a straight… you might get paid more due to inflated pot.

If you check here… he is certainly going to bet the river in any case. In that scenario only straight would win this pot for us.
      I really dont see him check raising on the turn…as weak kings he would check call unless he had k5… second pair would just check call or check fold.

I would raise 3x on BB… so 60. Bet around 50 60% of pot on flop. So the turn barrel of 150 in this case would look very strong and cost us less.

I’d take the free card too. Lots of reasons, 1) Dont think he folds too often to our barrel, because he prolly has some piece of the board/some draw.
      2) Mostly we miss our draw, so I don’t want to inflate the pot now, because bluffing river when he checks to us becomes too costly in that case. Right now he has plenty of draws and he’ll check them when he misses, so that would be a much better time to bluff. Here it is far more important to consider what he has then to “Tell a story” or whatever.

Prateek- why so sure he will “bet the river in any case” he’s taken a pretty passive line so far.

I ended up checking .. i didn’t connect .. He lead river for a pot size bet of 480 … I folded..

ashutoshnaik
      Participant

Do we barrel turn here or take free card?

Poker Stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t10/t20 Blinds – 6 players – View hand 1784742
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

squrm123 (CO): t3000 150 BBs
      zizuzidane5 (BTN): t7159 357.95 BBs
      djbubba007 (SB): t2820 141 BBs
      Hero (BB): t2567 128.35 BBs
      chashod (UTG): t3320 166 BBs
      cumila0 (MP): t994 49.70 BBs

Pre Flop: (t30) Hero is BB with 8 :club: 9 :club:
      , djbubba007 calls t10, Hero raises to t99, djbubba007 calls t79

Flop: (t19 7 :spade: T :club: K :spade: (2 players)
      djbubba007 checks, Hero bets t144, djbubba007 calls t144

Turn: (t486) 5 :heart: (2 players)
      djbubba007 checks,

Yes i would barrel here.. You are in position and also have fold equity. You are pretty deep anyway. Your hand is also disguised if the straight hits, as he may not put you on that, since you are betting all the streets.

Prabhat… I was sure of the river bet by him because of 2 3 ways to play the opponent HAND/DRAW.
      1. The missed draw bluff….. very common…. flop bet call…turn check check… Now wtever hand I was drawing…if I missed and since I am sitting so deep and the blind is 10 20….I would fire a bet…flopped i know Hero C-bet… turn he checked…. river any card lower than 10 or even not Ace..I am value betting.
      2. I was too weak to value bet earlier but your check gives me room…
      If I had 10…made 2nd pair on river… or had K… let me put a bet on river..since you checked the turn. I dont know how to value bet but I will learn by betting here.
      3. Defender bet… if I had any pair … any showdown hand…lets put a bet here…so that if Hero wants to bluff he would have to risk Larger size of stack, which he would try to avoid so early in the tournament. Also I wont have to face a bigger bet on river or take a tough decision.

And In 1$ tournament… with so deep at 10 20 blinds… a lot of players are just floating randomly…any random draw… any small pair for set… So bet the turn… most of the times on such boards…. you will get your opponent out from their marginal hands.

I prefer to play small ball early one. I dont mind getting into limped pot with marginal hands ( with Position ofc). I also like to see some cheap showdown early to get a feel of the opponents range. I have seen you try to put a lot of pressure in the early stages, like squeezing with marginal hands etc. I dont think its profitable in these $1 donkaments cause their Limp-calling range in W I D E . I think you can open jam AKo 100BBs early on in these MTTs and not loose any value.

On a general note I like to take a free card on the Turn, keep the pot small, let go on river of you brick etc etc. Just small ball . Negreanu like.. cause the board hits his range a LOT.. I would only second barrel depending on player reads and my image. If this is the first hand I am getting involved in, specially being the PFR, I will mostly barrel turn small. But not here.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]