How to play a big stack deep in a MTT ?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi ,
      I often get pretty deep in MTTs and have a 30BB+ stack . But whenever I open a hand , some players 3-bet me in position and I face a tough situation . Sometimes I 4-bet (make a 2.5-3x times their 3-bet) and most of the time the guy who has position on me just flats.
      The hands I would 4-bet include pairs and A10+ , KQ type of hands . Ofc I widen/narrow my 4-betting range depending on the player’s 3-betting % in position.
      Most of the time when I plan on 4-betting my stack is too deep to 4-bet shove (I don’t have problems if I have a 4-bet shoving stack). But when I have a hand like AJ idk what to do. Like the hand below.

PokerStars – $2+$0.20|100/200 Ante 25 NL – Holdem – 9 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

MP: 9,108
      MP+1: 2,735
      CO: 8,582
      BTN: 6,342
      SB: 14,282
      BB: 6,409
      Hero (UTG): 6,585
      UTG+1: 1,018
      UTG+2: 13,708

9 players post ante of 25, SB posts SB 100, BB posts BB 200
      Hero is dealt AhJd

Pre Flop: (pot:
      Hero raises to 400, fold, UTG+2 raises to 1,000, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

UTG+2 wins 1,325

Should I have played this hand OOP by just flatting his 3-bet ? I folded here because it was UTG+1 who was 3-betting in this hand.

How to deal with players who flat your 4-bet in position , float the flop and stabs the turn when you check it after c-betting?
      eg : You have AQs and you completely miss with a 50bb stack .

If your steals are not going through, you should be the one 3betting light.
      This hand fold is fine for the reasons you stated.
      Start having plans for preflop play in advance, like are there too many stacks behind you that are likely to 3b ? These plans alongwith hud stats should give you a fair bit of idea where you stand in a hand.
      AQs 50BB – On boards where you have no equity and you are OOP, no shame in giving up. also fields are pretty fishy at micros, so with a 50BB stack you will def get way better spots to stick ur money in.

tnx.

That wasn’t much advice Prateek and shame on you for advocating 4b and then hope for the best with AQss and 50bb.

Since this is a good question GODMODE, I’ll give you a real answer.

When you raise and get 3-bet, you need to first think of what kind of opponent you have or what default assumption to make about his ranges. Once you do that decide whether your hand is good enough to get all in with.

I’d suggest that if it’s for example 40/50 BB stacks, Go with JJ/QQ+ and AK, though with dynamics it could be as tight as KK+, to as wide as 77 and AJs. Once you’ve decided what you are willing to go with, you should probably flat the absolute top of your range such as AA/KK (obviously 4b/c is fine too here), and 4/b with the intention of calling a shove with the rest of your GII (Get it in) range.

Most of the time though you won’t have a hand good enough to go all-in with. That’s why good players 3-bet you a lot. There’s such a massive gap between the hands you raise and the hands you can play for stacks with that they can keep 3-betting you and making money because you don’t know what to do when you don’t have the top of your range.

I suggest 4-b bluffing quite frequently, especially against good players who view you as a target (especially try to 4-b bluff, the first time he 3 bets you) this means 4-betting as a pure bluff with even hands like K4s, 57s, J9s, etc. To begin with you get lots of folds from their light 3-bet range, additionally if they choose to flat, remember that they miss around 67% of the time on the flop, so your c-bets with air have a very high chance of success. The other benefit is when you 4-bet with weird hands like Q2s and K4s etc, you get paid a lot when you hit your actual hands as well as being able to force folds when the flop hits your perceived range.

The one thing you absolutely should not do is turn good hands like AQs/TT/99 into bluffs by 4-betting and then not having any idea what to do if he shoves or flats and you miss.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation SuicideSpree. I’ll try to implement this 4-b bluffing strategy . 🙂
      I sent you a pm long back . Think you did’nt read it. Plz reply.

That wasn’t much advice Prateek and shame on you for advocating 4b and then hope for the best with AQss and 50bb.

Ah my mistake, didnt realise that AQ with 50BBs is a 4b pot pre, thought they were two seperate instances he was asking. And try not being a total dick all the time.

I have tried.Just a bit tough when it comes to ungrateful and weak players who not only ignore personal lessons and agreements and spew along, but also misadvise others. Apologies for being a “total dick”. Also, I am not a total dick “all the time” just some of the time and to some people.

Also, on my “dicky comments”. I think they were fairly warranted.

“Start having plans for preflop play in advance, like are there too many stacks behind you that are likely to 3b ? These plans alongwith hud stats should give you a fair bit of idea where you stand in a hand.”

This is less than useful given that he is asking you what the plan should be and you are replying with vague generalizations like “have a plan” and “plan + hud = fair idea (through some sort of osmosis, I expect). This is so unresponsive and unhelpful and indicative of your own confusion–(after all your own response to these 3-bets is to peel J7o) that it’s fair enough for me to say “it’s not much advice”. If you don’t like your opinion being criticized come up with good opinions or don’t post.

First of all your not pretty deep in MTTs with blinds 100/200 Ante 25
      now considering your hand i completely agree with suicidespree…..i would fold pre here and if you want to play AJo UTG bluff 4-bet here (not recommended)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=1]