The turn comes 9s.

Samohh checks.
      RobertBiker bets 180.
      Samohh folds, showing 5s 4s.
      180 is pushed back to RobertBiker.

Was this correct..

Simon Mint
      Participant

It cost 180 to see if he had a 9. I would have bet…..imo it was wrong to fold but we will never know would we?

As played, call river! Since you acted kind of weak all the way he can bet river with a lot of hands.

It was actually a turn bet….. hence I folded.. A river bet i would have called…

Ohh sorry, my mistake!

Since he got position on you, and the flop is really dry, I would expect him to bet a lot of air and Ax, Kx type of hands. When one more nine hits the board on turn there’s a lot of players who will shoot again, so i would probably call his turn bet and see what he does on the river.

But I don’t mind to fold either i guess. You are not going to win a lot of chips out of position here. Is there a reason why you din’t bet the flop first in?

Denny

The flop comes
      4d 4c 9h.

Samohh checks.
      RobertBiker bets 60.
      Capi111 folds.
      Samohh calls for 60.

The turn comes 9s.

Samohh checks.
      RobertBiker bets 180.
      Samohh folds, showing 5s 4s.
      180 is pushed back to RobertBiker.

Was this correct..

Why would you check/call ??? what information do you gain?

You allowed him to control the hand .. being out of position on a flop like that is of no concern

Do not make the mistake that pot control and position are the same thing.

If you bet the flop you seize control and I would not be afraid of putting in another raise should he come over the top.

You could safely fire another large bullet on that turn card … I am sorry to comment but the whole play on the flop is extremely poor allowing him to fire another bullet with possible air.

check calling that flop is disastrous .. It was big enough to take down at that stage and I would certainly not fold and show that hand on the turn

What are looking to flop .. quads?

You also had the option of raising 2.5 BB from the small blind .. possible both may have folded of just flat called .. they are never putting you on 45 suited .. it would still have been cheaper to fold at that stage, but if I did raise preflop and was three bet I would have still have called to see a flop.

There will a lot of “disagreement” about this view as it is not a tight play, but you can still fold the flop and get away from the hand or rake in a monster pot.

Personally I think you folded the best hand .. but there is too little information gathered from your passive play to base decisions on. and that is what you need to focus on .. bet size, postion, pot control and gathering information.

Sorry if it sounds harsh or blunt .. just advice given in good faith.

Thanks a looot @ Mumbai Magic… I just wanted someone to tell me like that…. I knew I played that hand reaaalllyy bad… Feedback taken and much appreciated….

Also, would a check/raise be correct play???

@a1ias.. I dint bet the flop to trap… But when someone who has been playing a lil tight started betting i got a little worried… But again… He could have easily had an over pair….

Denny

Also, would a check/raise be correct play???

A check – raise on the flop is bad, you might as well show him the 4 and tell him you have trips (unless you are certain he will stick his chips in regardless) …. I prefer to c-bet (though this depends on on your table image .. if you have no history of c-betting, then again alarm bells will ring)

Your play should be consisent and bet sizes should not reveal anything about your holding.

Personally I do not like limping with that hand preflop or any hand (though I do on occassions). If you enter a pot it should be for the same amount (2.5 x BB) .. Hence preflop I certainly would stick a small raise in and call a raise. (This disguises your hand and makes it difficult for them to put you on a hand). If he calls the raise (given he is tight, most likely scenario) you can assign a hand range to him. I would not be afraid of seeing a flop after the raise with suited connectors. (hit or miss = play or fold)

Best way to practice this, is to enter as many freeroll tournaments you can, then you may experiment and hone your skills without worrying about losing chips or the hands .. you can even just call hands to see if you put him on the correct cards. Do that for few weeks and don’t be results orienatated; watch Daniel Negreanu videos on small poker .. read as much as you can.

Oh and be lucky ..

Thanks again @Mumbai magic….. My freeroll grinding starts today…

@Mumbai Magic…. Tried a hand the same way you said on William hill today… 3d4d.. Raise 2.5xbb on the button ( 3 limpers) … Flopped trips and won a monster pot.. Thanks for the advice.. Cant put it here coz it cant be copied since the format is diff…..The only diff is that I had position in this hand..

Denny

@Mumbai Magic…. Tried a hand the same way you said on William hill today… 3d4d.. Raise 2.5xbb on the button ( 3 limpers) … Flopped trips and won a monster pot.. Thanks for the advice.. Cant put it here coz it cant be copied since the format is diff…..The only diff is that I had position in this hand..

Hope it brings you success … and yes it is preferable to play with position in the hand, but there are no hard and fast rules.

You also have the option of a c-bet to represent an A or K on a flop you miss i.e a high flop (though make the bet look like you are value betting and you can always slow down and fold if you meet any resistance (N.B. don’t try this with more than 1 caller though)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]
[the_ad_group id="101476"]