Pot Odds

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      rajmortha

Can someone please explain the concept of pot odds and why it is useful.

Pot Odds is the size of the pot compared to the size of the bet you are faced. It can be useful when you are chasing a flush draw for example. Say an opponent moves all in on the flop, and its 5000 chips for you to call, and there are 15000 chips in the pot. Your pot odds are 15000/5000, or 3 to 1. This means you need to win the pot 1 out of 4 times to breakeven in the long run. Since you make your flush more than 1 out of 4 times, the pot odds would indicate that you should call in this scenario. Hope this helps.

rajmortha

how come you will be hitting your flush 1/4 times

hey raj,
      to quote chris “Since you make your flush more than 1 out of 4 times”, he basically saying u hit ur flush more than 1 out of 4 times, the real odds of making some hands are as below:
      On the Flop, when you have:
      • Four cards to a flush on the flop, you will complete it by the river: 1.9 to 1 (35%)
      • Four cards to an open-ended straight on the flop, you will complete it by the river: 2.2 to 1 (32%)
      • A gutshot straight draw on the flop, you will complete it by the river: 5.1 to 1 (17%)
      • Two pair, you will complete at least a Full House: 5 to 1 (16.7%)
      • Three of a kind, you will complete at least a Full House: 2 to 1 (33.4%)
      • One pair, you will complete at least three of a kind: 10.9 to 1 (8.4%)
      • An open-ended straight flush draw, you will complete at least a straight: 0.9 to 1 (54.1%)
      • An open-ended straight flush draw, you will complete it: 10.9 to 1 (8.4%)

the math is actually pretty simple:
      example for flush draw, u know 4 cards our of the suite are between ur hand and the flop, u know 1 more cards besides that (since flop and ur hand equals a total of 5 cards, 2 being ur hole cards and 3 cards on the flop). The unknown cards left in the deck are 52-5=47 cards, out of these 47 cards 9 cards will help us complete our flush (since each suit has 13 cards and we know of the 4 between our hand and the board) so in simple words we hv 9 outs twice out of 47 unknown cards which gives us probability of completing P=1-((47-9)/47 *(46-9)/46) which is around 35%.

Nice expanation adi.. This is very usefull

Dimas

yes, really nice explanation

richestuser

yup thats wonderful explanation

Luv Gupta

hi Adi, very nice explaination.
      But m confused a bit in that situation when i need two cards to complete a flush, suppose i have As7c as my hole cards flop comes
      6s 2s 10d. So, in this case i need two more spades so can u explain the equation how to calculate the odds in this case..

Thanks

Kailash…..

Hey Kailash

if flop is all of same suite and have Ace or king in my hand of same suite then I would bet(moderate) and play till River as I would need only 1 card…however in the scenario which you mentioned, I would go slow; usually check/ call small bet..

Luv Gupta

Hey, Akshay
      Its not about betting/checking or raising, what i want is how to calculate the odds/winning percentage(equation) which adi has explained and i am waiting for it till now…

kailash..

kailash in this situation going to turn there are 10 spades in the deck and 47 unknown cards in the deck, so 10/47 u hit a spade on turn. Then on river u have, 9 spades in deck and 46 unknown cards so probability will be (10/47)*(9/46) =0.04 or 4% .

hi Adi, very nice explaination.
      But m confused a bit in that situation when i need two cards to complete a flush, suppose i have As7c as my hole cards flop comes
      6s 2s 10d. So, in this case i need two more spades so can u explain the equation how to calculate the odds in this case..

Thanks

Kailash…..

Luv Gupta

00hhhhkkk… now i understood the whole thing how to calculate the odds according to the situation….. ill try to practice in my game

thanks a lot Adi…

kailash…

Just a small clarification there…for the 2nd post…you need to check pot odds as 1:3(5000:15000) and not 1:4 as your looking at being on profit and not breaking even….

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Online Poker Rooms

[shift_toggle_title]
[the_ad_group id="101476"]